I had the misfortune to connect with a social media “Guru” recently. After a phone call with this individual that has hundreds of thousands of followers, it became clear to me that they have NO CLUE what social media is or how to use it properly. I was bombarded with questions about Twitter, Hashtags and numerous other scenarios that a self-professed expert should clearly have well in hand.
This individual is frequently interviewed about social media and asked questions about how one should use the platform for effective marketing, relationship building, as well as to grow an engaged community. I am floored that so many that do not know any better listen to such people solely based on hundreds of thousands of followers.
It gets worse… Of course after my phone call with this person some months ago, I made sure I was following them on Twitter. I immediately followed the call with an @ mention thanking him for his time. Additionally, thinking this person was genuine in their social media desire to provide value, I also added them to my #FF (Follow Friday) list of folks I mention. Not only was there no reply to my message, there was not so much as a recognition of the several Follow Friday mentions I gave them.
Against my better judgement, I also friended the individual on Facebook, which resulted in an immediate arrogant promotional post on my wall about how many followers they have and how smart they are. Upon my commenting, I know “so and so”, we have spoken on the phone, I received ZERO response.
Upon analyzing their business, which simply tweets any crap someone is willing to pay them to tweet, it caused me to not only disengage completely from this person, but prompted me to write this post. So here are my suggestions to you:
1) Be careful who you connect with and give your like/follow to.
2) Verify that what notable people say YOU should do, they actually do themselves.
3) Use Social Media Marketing in such a way that provides value to others in a real human way, outside of cash for yourself.
4) Walk the walk daily. provide value to your audience and target market within social media and be consistent. Do it right and do it often.
* An Update to this post is at: https://bundlepost.wordpress.com/2011/05/11/update-social-media-faux-expert-gurus-evil-pied-pipers/