One of the most frequent things I speak or consult on is strategy. More specifically, how to develop a simple social media marketing strategy. Understand, there is no one size fits all for strategy and a lot of additional details go into a more elaborate plan, but if you want to get started or migrate to a simple social media strategy, this should be very helpful.
1) Coffee – Isn’t this just a given? :-) For you non-coffee drinkers or those working on your strategy in the evening, I suggest a nice glass of wine instead.
2) Targeting – I thought I would throw in an example here for you to guide you on determining your target market. For our company and I, our target market is: First World English speaking countries (geographically) and Social Media enthusiasts, agencies, strategists and brand departments. VERY specific.
3) Grow Community – Now that you know your target market, go find them on Twitter and follow them. In the real world, you wouldn’t sit in the corner at a networking event and hope your market finds you and engages you. You need to get up and engage with your prospective customers and find out about them. For more see: Social Media is a Parallel Universe
4) Content – Everything starts here! Remember, social media is not about YOU, it’s about your audience. Determine what THEY will find valuable and interesting and post that kind of content for them. For more see: How Often Should You Post On…
5) Platforms – Where does your target market most engage in the social graph? That’s where YOU need to be.
6) SMO – User patterns on the web have changed. People rarely repeatedly visit the typical website anymore. They visit, find where you have a presence in the social graph and click to connect with you there. Place your Facebook, Twitter, Etc. icons at the top of every page on your site and link them to your social media accounts. The easier you make it for them to do this, the more effective you can be at building relationships.
7) Engage – Social media is all about relationships. Share content your fans/followers post. Start conversations and deliver selfless value to your audience. For more see: The Importance Of Content In Social Media
8 ) Activity – It’s one thing to have a strategy and a plan, it’s an entirely different thing to execute it. You will need to know exactly what daily activities you need to accomplish to execute this strategy and a commitment to actually do it!
I would like to formally thank Engage and @AnyaDowning for their incredible work on the infographic. Proof of the effectiveness of social media, as that is where we met. Proof of relationship, as the resulting collaboration has been nothing but incredible!