Today we are releasing the first version of what we are calling Bundle Feeds. This new alert-like Feed Channel allows you to create new Feed Channels right inside of the Bundle Post system based on keywords or exact phrases, without needing to go out to Bing or other locations to create alert content topics.
Our team has been planing and designing a new content discovery system to integrate into Bundle Post for some time. With the decline and subsequent demise of Google RSS Alerts, coupled with the lack luster results of Bing Alerts or any other suitable replacement for Google Alerts, we decided to step up our work on this new feature.
How Do Bundle Feeds Work?
Once you create a Bundle Feed, the system will create a new feed channel that will source content on that specific phrase or keyword topics for you. The first version is in Beta and has a lot more functionality and options in development, but it is a giant first step toward where we are going with content discovery for our users. Bundle Feeds provide a totally unique option for discovering topical Feed Channel content within the system.
Our team has developed a very unique function with Bundle Feeds that allows you to test the results of your query several times before actually saving the new Feed Channel. This feature enables you to fine tune your query as you create it, ensuring you will get the content results you are looking for. Use the “Test It” button during the Bundle Feed creation process and review the results, make edits to the phrase or keywords and click Test It again, until you’re satisfied. (Max returned is 10 results)
To create a new Bundle Feed, follow these simple steps:
1) Click on the Feeds link from the Bundle Post navigation bar.
2) Click the “Create Bundle Feed – beta” link under the “Add Feed Channel” Option
3) Name your new Feed Channel.
4) If you don’t want the system to sanitize used content from this new Feed Channel, check the “Don’t sanitize this Bundle Feed” check box at the top. (for more on feed sanitizing, read the “Sanitizing Feeds” section)
5) Enter an Exact Phrase, Keywords or BOTH and press the “Test It” button.
6) When you are satisfied with your feed terms and the test results, click the “Submit” button to save the new Feed Channel to your feed page.
7) Bundle Feed Channels will be designated in your list of Feed Channels with a icon, so you clearly know what content is coming from this feature.
That’s it! Your new Bundle Post Feed Channel will source new content for that topic multiple times per day and deliver the content into that new channel for you. From there you can use the content just like you would any other Feed Channel within the system.
Throughout our use and testing of the new beta Bundle Feed feature, we discovered that testing results and modifying your phrase and keywords before saving the new feed channel gets the best results. We recommend using the exact phrase field with a specific word or phrase first, then modify the results with the addition of keywords to niche it down to want you want.
* The more you niche your Phrase and Keywords, the less content you will get back over time, so ensure you have the proper balance.
Again, we want to reiterate that the new Bundle Feed feature is in Beta and we have a lot more work to do on it. We have seen some pretty great results already, so we decided to release it in Beta so our users have another great tool for topical content discovery within their social content management.
Give it a try and let us know what you think.