Maintaining consistent traffic to your content, website and landing pages is crucial to your online marketing success. The ability to understand your top traffic sources and subsequent traffic patterns once they land on your content is key to reducing the frequent ups and downs that are difficult to predict. Am I right?
In fact, many marketers and brands experience continual highs and lows of traffic depending on their ability to maintain consistent content creation, Pay per click (PPC) advertising and a consistent social media presence. The challenges that surround these required activities and the resources required to maintain consistency are just a few of the reasons that predictable and sustainable traffic levels are difficult to realize for most.
We all know these challenges and we are continually attempting to improve the results, often without success. The problems brands, marketers and other organizations face in this environment are easy to define, establishing simplified, results driven solutions should be as well. Unfortunately. for many they are not, so let’s try to change that.
How to Maintain and Scale Web and Content Traffic?
We have established processes and technology (BundlePost) that has enabled us to consistently maintain predictable and scalable traffic to our site, content and landing pages every day, week and month. We have achieved the predictability by following a duplicatable process on a consistent daily basis, and you can too.
1) Social Media – If you aren’t doing social media right, nothing else in this post is going to help you. Think of your social media as the foundation of your web, content and landing page traffic. You must have a consistent, active and engaged social presence at the core of your traffic strategy. If you are unsure whether you have this soundly in place, refer to the numerous posts on our blog about what a proper and effective social presence looks like.
Here’s a couple of blog posts that will help, should you need clear definitions of “Doing Social Right”:
2) Connect – Imagine finding the perfect radio station with your exact target audience you’re trying to reach, but they only had 60 listeners. You would never get ROI if you ran your ad there, even if every single listener bought from you. Likewise in social media, you must have a large enough target audience in order to see consistent, predictable results. You must find and connect with your target audience to continually be growing your community, provide them with selfless value everyday, all day and most importantly build relationships with them through conversation and appreciation.
3) Content Curation – Giving selfless value through curating great content is important. Be sure that you are doing it consistently and the topics are relevant to your audience. Good curation will earn the right to share and promote your own content.
4) Content Creation – If you are not creating good content consistently, you will not build thought leadership or have anything new to deliver to your audience. Consistent new content written for your audience builds a following of loyal readers that rely on you for knowledge and new information.
5) Marketing Messages – When you are doing social properly, you earn the right to pitch what you do. I am not talking about tagging people in your marketing messages, but rather posting about your product or service across your streams. When you have earned relationships through conversations that were started through great created and curated content, people are far more open to click on your marketing messages. You must have your marketing messages in your streams daily that lead to your landing pages.
6) Evergreen Content – When you are creating great content consistently, you build a repository of content to share repeatedly. Remember that people are not signed into social networks all day long and you are adding new connections to your community frequently. Therefore many will not have seen a blog post you wrote months ago and you will want to use that content in your streams again and again in a conscious and strategic way.
The key to all of these important activities is consistency. The more consistent you are, the more each component achieves improved results. When you consistently do them together, the results become dramatically compounded and through measurement and tracking you will be able to scale up and maintain consistent traffic to your website, landing pages and content.
To get consistent traffic through your social media marketing efforts, you need to understand where the traffic is coming from and why, then leverage those sources more. When you take the time to understand your top traffic sources, you will be able to spend more time where you are getting the most consistent results, and less time where results are more challenging.
What Is Your Traffic Achieving?
Once you have laid the foundation of your process and are consistently executing it, you need to ensure that you have a plan related to dealing with the consistent traffic you are driving to your pages. If you are going to start achieving consistent traffic to your site, your content and landing pages, you need a plan to convert that traffic.
What is your goal for the traffic? (what are you trying to achieve? example – leads, newsletter subscribers, new trial accounts, etc.)
Is your page messaging and traffic flow conducive to that goal?
Are you measuring and tracking your conversion of new unique visitors that sign up, order, become a lead, etc.?
Do you have lead capture forms and other technology in place to facilitate the intended goal?